Marketing
Trevor Grant
2017-03-23 19:36:12 UTC
Hey user and dev,

With 0.13.0 the Apache Mahout project has added some significant updates.

The website is starting to feel 'dated' I think it could use a reboot.

The blue person riding the elephant has less signifigance in
Mahout-Samsara's modular backends.

Would like to open the floor to discussion on website reboot (and who might
be willing to take on such a project), as well as new mascot.

To kick off- in an offline talk there was the idea of
A honey badger (bc honey-badger don't care, just like mahout don't care
what back end or native solvers you are using, and also bc a cobra bites a
honey badger and he takes a little nap then wakes up and finishes eating
the cobra. honey badger eats snakes, and does all the work while the other
animals pick up the scraps.
see this short documentary on the honey badger:
)
^^audio not safe for work

Con: its almost tooo jokey.

Other idea: are coy-wolfs.

Trevor Grant
Data Scientist
https://github.com/rawkintrevo
http://stackexchange.com/users/3002022/rawkintrevo
http://trevorgrant.org

*"Fortunate is he, who is able to know the causes of things." -Virgil*
Andrew Palumbo
2017-03-23 19:42:54 UTC
+1 on revamp.

http://youtu.be/4r7wHMg5Yjg )

Pat Ferrel
2017-03-23 22:43:25 UTC
The little blue man (the mahout) was reborn (samsara) as a honey-badger? He must be close indeed to reaching true enlightenment, or is that Buddhism?

+1 on revamp.

Trevor Grant
2017-03-24 01:53:09 UTC
A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"

The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep."

Sounds like the honey badger to me...

Pat Ferrel
2017-03-24 15:27:24 UTC
The multiple backend support is such a waste of time IMO. The DSL and GPU support is super important and should be made even more distributed. The current (as I understand it) single threaded GPU per VM is only the first step in what will make Mahout important for a long time to come.

Think of Mahout in 5 years what will be important? H2O? Hadoop Mapreduce? Flink? I’ll stake my dollar on no. GPUs yes and up the stakes. Streaming online learning (kappa style) yes but not sure Mahout is made for this right now.

Or if we are talking about web site revamp +1, I’d be happy to upgrade my section and have only held off waiting to see a redesign or moving to Jekyll.

As to a new mascot, ok, but the old one fits the name. We tried sub-naming Mahout-Samsara to symbolize the changing nature and rebirth of the project, maybe we should drop the name Mahout altogether. the name Mahout, like the blue man, is not relevant to the project anymore and maybe renaming, is good for marketing.

On Mar 24, 2017, at 7:37 AM, Nikolai Sakharnykh <***@nvidia.com> wrote:

Agree that the website feels outdated. I would add Samsara code example on the front page, list of key algorithms implemented, supported backends, github & download links, and cut down the news part especially towards the end with flat release numbers and dates. Also probably reorganize the tabs.

If we go with honey badger as a mascot do we have any ideas on the logo itself? Honey badger biting/eating a snake?)

[...]
confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by
Dmitriy Lyubimov
2017-03-24 16:09:32 UTC
Post by Pat Ferrel
The multiple backend support is such a waste of time IMO. The DSL and GPU
support is super important and should be made even more distributed. The
current (as I understand it) single threaded GPU per VM is only the first
step in what will make Mahout important for a long time to come.
This seems self contradicting a bit. Multiple backends is the only thing
that remedies it for me. By that i mean both distributed (i/o) backends and
the in-memory.

Good CPU and GPU plugins will be important, as well as communication layer
alternatives to spark. Spark is not working out well for interconnected
problems, and H20 and Flink, well, I'd just forget about them. I'd
certainly drop H20 for now. But ability to plug in new communication
backend primitives seems to be critical in my experience, as well as
variety of cpu/gpu chipset support. (I do use both in-memory and i/o custom
backends that IMO are a must).

In that sense, it is super-important that custom backends are easy to plug
(even if you are absolutely legitimately dissatisfied with the existing
ones).
-----------------------
-----------------------
Suneel Marthi
2017-03-24 16:12:33 UTC
Post by Dmitriy Lyubimov
Post by Pat Ferrel
The multiple backend support is such a waste of time IMO. The DSL and GPU
support is super important and should be made even more distributed. The
current (as I understand it) single threaded GPU per VM is only the first
step in what will make Mahout important for a long time to come.
This seems self contradicting a bit. Multiple backends is the only thing
that remedies it for me. By that i mean both distributed (i/o) backends and
the in-memory.
Good CPU and GPU plugins will be important, as well as communication layer
alternatives to spark. Spark is not working out well for interconnected
problems, and H20 and Flink, well, I'd just forget about them. I'd
certainly drop H20 for now.
FWIW, the H2O backend is more stable than the F%*&k backend, best to drop
both.
-----------------------
Trevor Grant
2017-03-24 16:43:46 UTC
To date we have referred to the GPU/CPU/CUDA as 'pluggable native-solvers'.
'plugable backends' are the Spark - Flink -H20- whatever.

With the advent of both, I could see the confusion and we may want to
rethink the naming as part of of this too.

Trevor Grant
Data Scientist
https://github.com/rawkintrevo
http://stackexchange.com/users/3002022/rawkintrevo
http://trevorgrant.org

*"Fortunate is he, who is able to know the causes of things." -Virgil*
I guess we might have different interpretation of a backend. So just to
avoid any confusion in my world (coming from accelerating applications on
GPUs) the backends would be CUDA, OpenCL, OpenMP and JVM. I think it
definitely makes sense to advertise GPU support on the front page, along
with JVM and/or OpenMP for CPUs.
Post by Dmitriy Lyubimov
Post by Dmitriy Lyubimov
Post by Pat Ferrel
Post by Pat Ferrel
To kick off- in an offline talk there was the idea of A honey
badger (bc honey-badger don't care, just like mahout don't care
what back end or native solvers you are using, and also bc a cobra
bites a honey badger and he takes a little nap then wakes up and
finishes eating the cobra. honey badger eats snakes, and does all
the work while the other animals pick up the scraps.
http://youtu.be/4r7wHMg5Yjg ) ^^audio not safe for
work
Con: its almost tooo jokey.
Other idea: are coy-wolfs.
Trevor Grant
Data Scientist
https://github.com/rawkintrevo
http://stackexchange.com/users/3002022/rawkintrevo
http://trevorgrant.org
*"Fortunate is he, who is able to know the causes of things."
-Virgil*
-----------------------
This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
-----------------------
Pat Ferrel
2017-03-24 17:02:25 UTC
Yeah point taken from @Dmitriy and @Trevor, the ability is great and will be needed some day soon (Spark is especially troublesome in some apps). However the existing compute engines code seems of dubious value.

Completely agree with flexible solvers extremely important and yes, we should flog the hell out of it. This includes BLAS and future improvements to that layer as well as GPUs. Super important.

I also like your taxonomy.

-----------------------
dustin vanstee
2017-03-24 18:52:39 UTC
Hi , I am a newcomer to the project, and I think the current website
definitely could use a re-build. One of the things I think that enables
quick adoption of any new project are the quick start tutorials. In
particular I like the way the Apache zeppelin site is structured. There is
a lot of information on the Mahout site, and a lot of good hints, but it
took me a while to get something that worked.
It might be nice to have something like
quick start mahout/samsara basic
quick start mahout/samsara with spark
quick start mahout/samsara with gpu
etc etc

Sometimes less is more. There is too much information being put on the
homepage and its confusing... I think the old mapreduce stuff could
probably be pushed very low down. Also, having scala docs available would
be great too. Just my 2pennies.
Post by Pat Ferrel
[...]
On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Nikolai Sakharnykh <
-----------------------
Muhammed Olgun
2017-03-24 21:34:16 UTC
Hi folks,

I have been following Mahout for a long time. I used it in some of my
projects.

Honey Badget... yes I think it is cool and funny. But I think it is not
able to represent the Mahout. Mahout is about learning, math and abstract
things.

What does describe Mahout better? For me,

"Doing distributed (math) machine learning, before it was cool"

Best!
Muhammed

24 Mar 2017 Cum, saat 22:44 tarihinde dustin vanstee <

-----------------------
Trevor Grant
2017-03-24 16:41:10 UTC
I don't think the backends we have now off the shelf are particularly
exciting, but the fact you CAN plug different ones back in is the value
prop (and a big one that we need to 'sell' more). The difference is subtle
but since this is the marketing thread also worth bringing up. Basically to
your point in paragraph two. Flink, H2O, Spark, they come and go- with
Mahout your algorithms keep porting (more on this shortly).

Kappa arch- yes, we need to start thinking at least how that is going to
play into mahout. I agree with you 100% on this.

It sounds like we're getting quorum at least on website revamp. Awesome. I
think we should solve the other issues (name, logo, etc.) but at least
start looking for community memebers that have the time and skill / trying
to recruit people into the project who do. In my mind, the website
revamp+jekyl should happen simultaneously. Let's just build the new site
in Jekyll and then when its ready we'll switch techs + launch in one shot.
If you have some good info, it might be prudent to just post it now, bc I
don't know what the time line for all this will look like.

Naming- can a project simply change its name? Is that even an option. If
it is- might be a way to go, but do a transition- e.g. Introduce
<name>-Mahout but slowly drop the mahout part, until finally its just
<name>. Or do it quick like a bandaid on a major release (e.g. 0.14.0). Or
do we just call it Apache Samsara, which, going back to the modular
backends is kind of elegantly appropriate in that the backend have
lifecycles, but your "algorithmic soul" is persistently reincarnated.
There is a 'story' there of - look we had the first big data ML package,
and when the back end it was built for began to fade, so did our projects.
We were the first to have to stare down the barrel of the pains of backends
coming and going so the whole point of this project was to prevent that
from happening again.

Re: nikolai-
100% agree with the structure changes proposed. Let's find someone who is
willing and able to take point on that project, then start brainstorming
layout but this is a good start. Or even better, lets start a jira ticket
to discuss structure of new site (since again, I think we agree that DOES
need to happen, and we're really just waiting on some techicalities of
how/when/who/what).

I know i brought up that honey badgers eat snakes (python), the one big
danger in this- if we ever do decide to implement python bindings then all
of the sudden things get awkward. (I'm imaginging going to a Python meetup
to talk about new Mahout-Samsara-<othername> bindings, and some one asks,
"why is he eating a snake", "oh well because at the time we thought python
was trash and we were very arrogant").

-----------------------
Ted Dunning
2017-03-25 02:21:50 UTC
Post by Pat Ferrel
maybe we should drop the name Mahout altogether.
I have been told that there is a cool secondary interpretation of Mahout as
well.

I think that the Hebrew word is pronounced roughly like Mahout.

מַהו֌ת

The cool thing is that this word means "essence" or possibly "truth". So
regardless of the guy riding the elephant, Mahout still has something to be
said for it.

(I have no Hebrew, btw)
(real speakers may want to comment here)
Andrew Palumbo
2017-03-25 20:18:34 UTC
That's pretty cool.

Pat Ferrel
2017-03-25 22:46:28 UTC
מַהו֌תמַהו֌ת
מַהו֌ת-à€žà€‚à€žà€Ÿà€°

positively artistic.

That's pretty cool.

Isabel Drost-Fromm
2017-03-29 23:03:31 UTC
That is an awesome second interpretation.

Having voted on the original name I'm 100% biased so take my opinion with a huge grain of salt: on the one hand I think name changes are over rated (anyone remember ethereal?), on the other hand IMHO Mahout is a fairly strong brand representing machine learning at scale.

Maybe a combination of any of a new logo, design, documentation, release that drops the zero in "0.x.y", a press release for that release that Sally can help you with, a new front page that publishes the new focus of development, maybe a few snippets on that shift in focus that editors can use, dropping deprecated code would already go a long way... Just some random ideas.

Isabel
Isabel Drost-Fromm
2017-03-29 23:14:55 UTC
One more thing: what was really helpful in spreading the word in the early days was collecting real user stories: who achieved what with Mahout. Could be helpful for the new multi backend version as well. Imagine quotes like "we've successfully used Mahout on $insertBackendHere to solve $insertSuperDuperCoolUsecaseHere in no time" says $name, CTO of $hotNewStartup in an article about the project.

Warning: this is tedious work, involves monitoring Twitter, having a Google alert for the name and talking to any number of people over long periods of time to nudge them go public with their potentially confidential story.
Post by Isabel Drost-Fromm
That is an awesome second interpretation.
Having voted on the original name I'm 100% biased so take my opinion
with a huge grain of salt: on the one hand I think name changes are
over rated (anyone remember ethereal?), on the other hand IMHO Mahout
is a fairly strong brand representing machine learning at scale.
Maybe a combination of any of a new logo, design, documentation,
release that drops the zero in "0.x.y", a press release for that
release that Sally can help you with, a new front page that publishes
the new focus of development, maybe a few snippets on that shift in
focus that editors can use, dropping deprecated code would already go a
long way... Just some random ideas.
Isabel
Andrew Evans
2017-03-30 04:08:12 UTC
The issue could be competition better grounded in Spark like ND4J and the
increased popularity of Python. Name changes are really difficult. If you
think that you have improved over your recent iteration and moved to a
more competitive platform, then it would be a good idea. Otherwise, try to
wait and build credibility. At that point, it may even be a good idea to
keep the old platform and move people to the newly named 'better' platform
without the risk of losing respect.
Trevor Grant
2017-04-04 17:49:19 UTC
Re name changes- definitely not in love with the idea.

In my experience there are two main segments of data scientists when
opening a conversation about Apache Mahout:
1) "We don't use map reduce"
2) "I've never heard of it"
2a) "I don't understand math, I just blindly fire 'machine learning'
algorithms at things"
2b) "That sounds amazing!"

For segment 2, a name change will do no good. For 2a, that was me being a
bit hyperbolic, but to some extent 'pre-canned' algorithms and docs will
help.

A user in segment 2b, who then goes searching and trying to learn mahout-
end up reading all the old slide decks/stack overflows/books, and then end
up in segment 1.

In my mind, there is the crux of the problem.

So THAT is who we're really trying to intercept. A name change would be a
lazy but effective way to do it. Calling it Mahout-Samsara sort of hit that
point. The old website with a mish mash of old and new- side by side is
certainly not helping.

Framing it like that, the 'user journey' in my mind is something like a
google search / trying code and finding things on stackoverflow, visiting
the website, and finding 'getting started' tutorials.

So the crux isn't the name so much as it is shepherding users on their
journey. So if not name change (which I'm in no way convinced is necessary
or prudent- but will leave it open for someone to counter point), I think
the following:

1. More blogs / docs / "soft content" on Mahout- per previous post I am
personally working on getting a batch edited and looking right.
2. Website reboot with a re-organization that emphasizes 'new' stuff and
pushes old stuff down below the fold.
3. 1 and 2 possibly both happen together (e.g. tutorials and soft content
in support of new page- though I'd rather get soft content published asap,
e.g. don't delay content for website overhaul)

I also agree that case-studies and user stories are an awesome idea, but I
think that is how people hear about Mahout (are made aware), and then
proceed as I stated above. E.g. case studies and stories are an important
part about how we 'fill the funnel' with people who are interested in
Mahout, but don't want to loose them on the path from 'awareness' to
'user'.

Actual Steps:

1. Again, I am locked and loaded on a batch of content.
vacations/conferences have jammed me up, will start trying to post soon.
(can always spell check later ;) ). More is better- so if you have
something, please push it.
2. Website, we desperately need someone/ some people who has/have expertise
and bandwidth to make this happen. (Design and implementation)
3. This ties into the jekyll integration, which would allow contributors to
help write content for the website (instead of full blown committers).
Really any git based integration, however a number of projects (Flink,
Zeppelin, etc) have used Jekyll so I suppose there is some logic to their
rationale.
4. Logo- want to keep the discussion open on this. I think we are leaning
towards 'keep the name Mahout' but still open to the idea of a logo reboot.
It makes sense we wouldn't change the logo while we're still undecided on
the name, so if someone has a strong opinion on changing the name please
speak up, otherwise lets keep kicking this around.

Just some thoughts I've had after stepping away and coming back to the
issue with a fresh set of eyes, and my .02

tg